Sunday, May 03, 2015

At Flashbak: The Toy Adventure is Only Beginning - The Seven Coolest Toy Spaceships of the 1970s



My latest list/article at Flashbak gazes at the great toy spaceships of the disco decade.




"The disco decade was the great era of toy spaceships. This great development for kids came about for a few reasons. Star Trek (1966 – 1969) took off in syndication, Space: 1999 (1975 – 1977) premiered mid-decade, and 1977 brought Star Wars…and a flood of similar-minded productions, from Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979) to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979-1981). 

It was, without exaggeration, the great age of cinematic space adventures and merchandise tie-ins.  Additionally, there were the knock-off toys (like Starroid Raiders and STAR Team) and fantastic toy-lines from Japan (like Micro-Man, re-packaged as Micronauts in the U.S.). The choices for imaginative play were numerous, and incredible.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but these are my picks for the seven great toy spaceships of the seventies..."

Continued at Flashbak

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...