Wednesday, July 30, 2014

At Flashbak: Five Scenes from the Post-Star Wars (1977) Film Craze that Unexpectedly Terrorized a Generation



My new list at Flashbak remembers some of the terrorizing moments of the post-Star Wars era in space films.



"Back in 1979, Kenner Toys marketed products from Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979) to kids at American toy stores…even though the film was R-rated and featured chest-bursting, silver-toothed monsters.  A brave nine-year old could visit Toys ‘R Us and buy a large Alien action figure, or the Alien movie viewer…which showed imagery from the film.

On the other end of the spectrum, however, there were also a number of mainstream space adventure movies from the same post-Star Wars era that -- while not upsetting to children, overall -- nonetheless featured images of pure terror that then left an indelible impression on the young of the era.

Below are five of the most unforgettable horror images that kids of the 1970s unexpectedly encountered in mainstream cinematic space adventures."

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see Flash Gordon as a kid but every other one of your picks are dead on for me. The transporter accident I found especially horrifying as it seemed so random and unexpected. Just like real life accidents.

    I find it particularly interesting how a few years can make such a big difference to childhood memories of "Disney." For my generation it can be a terrifying red robot with Cuisinart hands disemboweling Anthony Perkins and then enveloping Maximilian Schell in hell. For those a few years younger it's The Little Mermaid....

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time the FLASH GORDON movie had been released in British cinemas, the unfortunate Arborian (?) who comes a cropper after placing his hand in the log was better known as Peter Duncan, presenter of the twice-weekly BBC children's magazine programme BLUE PETER… with a bit of an "action man" on-screen reputation...

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...