Saturday, February 01, 2014

Tribute: Maximilian Schell (1930 - 2014)


The press is now reporting the death of Maximilian Schell (1930 – 2014), an actor that is beloved by my generation for his role as the mad commander of the Cygnus, Hans Reinhardt, in the Disney cult-movie, The Black Hole (1979).

That science fiction film of the 1970s served as my introduction to Schell’s work, and over the years, I was always happy to see him lend his considerable talents to other genre films, including Deep Impact (1998) and John Carpenter’s Vampires (1998). 

I have also never forgotten Schell’s turn as the famous monster, the Phantom of the Opera in a 1983 TV movie.  Jane Seymour co-starred with Schell in this largely-forgotten but enjoyable production.  In fact, this TV-movie was my first exposure to the classic tale, and was the very production that caused me to seek out the classic Lon Chaney and Claude Rains’ film versions.  Schell was great in the role.

Outside the genre, Schell is also known for his roles in such high-profile films as The Odessa File (1974), and A Bridge Too Far (1977). He earned an Academy Award for his role in Judgment at Nuremburg (1961).

Personally, I’ll always remember Schell’s capacity to humanize even the most insane or monstrous characters. 

In The Black Hole he plays a genius and a maniac, but in one classic and unexpected moment, he also reveals a total vulnerability.  Reinhardt begs his visitors from the Palomino to “save him” from the red-eyed, devil robot Maximillian….Reinhardt’s own creation.  The genuine fear that is visible in Schell’s eyes during in this moment go a long way toward selling the film’s menace…and also its sense of utter strangeness.

I offer my deepest condolences to Mr. Schell’s family regarding his loss, and hope that his loved ones are aware of the actor’s impact on audiences, and particularly on Generation X sci-fi movie fans.

3 comments:

  1. Another loss. :( RIP.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Sad news. I heard the news earlier today. I loved him as Reinhardt. That scene you mention where he asks the Palomino crew for protection against Maximillian always stood out to me. In that instance you actually believe that he fears his own creation. I've always wanted to see more of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great actor and a real class act.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...