Friday, August 30, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films 2000 - 2013: T.L. Foreman of The PC Principle


T.L. Foreman is the blogger at the terrific site The PC Principle, and one of the masterminds behind the Back to Frank Black campaign. 

Troy introduces his list of top ten sci-fi films circa 2000 - 2013 below:

“As always, another fantastic question. I sat down and thought about this one for a while. I could go into plots, special effects, impact, blah blah, but I chose my list a bit differently. Yes, those things are important, but for me, all the films on my list I can watch over and over again and recommend to anyone without hesitation.

So, with that being said, here is my list in no particular order. I couldn't put them in order. Would have taken longer!

Sunshine - I will try and fit this movie on any list that I can. Along with Serenity, as close to a perfect science fiction film as there is.

Serenity - Joss Whedon already could have rested on the cult status of Firefly, but taking a chance with a movie was a big gamble and he came through with flying colors!

Pitch Black - Not much to say here except it's a fantastic film. Very raw.

Frequency - A little known film with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. A very interesting plot.

Moon - two words. Sam Rockwell

Dredd - Ran circles around the Sylvester Stallone film. I hope they do a sequel.

Primer - the budget for this film was around $7000. You may have to watch it a couple of times to understand it, but it's well worth it.

Daybreakers - Ethan Hawkes stars in the vampire film that takes place in the future. Very solid film.

Minority Report - Great action and one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies.

The Mothman Prophecies - Based on a true story. Richard Gere gives a fantastic performance in this creepy film.


Troy: Great choices all around.  I’m a pretty big fan of The Mothman Prophecies, though it received mostly negative reviews during its theatrical run.  I find the movie incredibly unnerving and creepy, and I like to haul it near Halloween every year.

I’m also glad to see that you have some love for Daybreakers, another strong genre film of recent vintage that didn’t seem to get much attention, let alone love.

I remembered how much you like Sunshine, and so it’s good see that title here on the list.  That movie is having a strong showing on the tally thus far…

4 comments:

  1. I really need to see 'Daybreakers'. Great to see 'Pitch Black' get more votes, too. And 'Frequency' breakthrough! I thought I was the only more who admired that movie. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks leOpard13! Appreciate you taking the time to look through my list. Love the film Daybreakers, so sad not many people know about it and Frequency is just a gem. I thought the plot for the film was fascinating and the two leads were great in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mothman Prophecies, excellent choice.
    I still think that this film will get remade and then it will get the positive reviews it deserved with another director's version. The subject matter fit in with '70s era bigfoot and Loch Ness monster.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed Frequency myself. Nice film. This love for Daybreakers - it's been a film I've wanted to see Troy, but was cautious about. Well that's that then. I have to get it done.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...