Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films, 2000 - 2013: SGB


Regular reader and buddy SGB gives us our next reader list today, and on a personal note, I’m very pleased to see that he backs me up on Ghosts of Mars and Prometheus.

SGB writes:

“John this list is the most difficult that I have had to compile so far here at your blog. For that reason, the first half might be considered great, but the remainder I will be listing are simply guilty pleasures of nostalgia.
 
#1 John Carpenter's Ghost Of Mars (2001): It is a true western, as was Outland (1981). This film deserved sequels!

#2 Pitch Black (2000): A scary film like Alien or Aliens. It has gotten sequels, unlike GOM.

#3 The Thing (2011): Because it finally answer what happened before that "dog" ran into the camp of Thing (1982).

#4 Prometheus (2012): Because we have come full circle from the prequel Predator/AVP films to an intense prequel to Alien.

#5 Star Trek Into Darkness (2013): Kirk era reboot continuing to be good and "Khan!!!!".

#6 Star Trek (2009): Excellent Kirk era reboot and I loved the original that was in daily reruns as a boy in the '70s. 

#7 Space Battleship Yamato (2010) :Live-action film version of '70s animated Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato series.

#8 Gatchaman (2013): Live-action film version of '70s animated Battle Of The Planets/Gatchaman series.


#9 Land Of The Lost (2009): I enjoy a good reboot, even though I did not get it in this film. As a boy in the '70s, I was a fan of the original series first-run on Saturday mornings. It is fun to watch no matter how much it failed at the box office. A T-Rex in action is always worth seeing.

#10 Thunderbirds (2004): Live-action film version of '60s marionette puppetry series.  Once again, I enjoy a good reboot, even though I did not get it in this film. As a boy in the '70s, I was a fan of the original that was in daily reruns. It is fun to watch no matter how much it failed at the box office because of the production design alone. 

 That is my list, from the great to the enjoyable.


SGB: Thank you for contributing a thoughtful and intriguing list.  Like you, I have tremendously enjoyed both Abrams-Era Star Trek films, and as I noted above I love Prometheus, Ghosts of Mars, and Pitch Black

Looking down your other selections, I can note that I am warming to the prequel of The Thing (2011).  I’ve watched that film three times now, and carefully read the opinions of several readers I respect on why it succeeds as a work of art. 


Of all the titles featured here, I am most curious about the live-action Yamato movie, having just finished watching Star Blazers, season one.

10 comments:

  1. John thanks for you thoughts on my selections. Your blog is a wonderful environment for us all to share our collective science-fiction, fantasy and horror interests.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. SGB: Thank you for your great list, and for contributing to this series. I appreciate all your support very much, and enjoyed reading your selections tremendously!

    All my best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made some very interesting choices SGB. I know your intense love for the classics as well so interesting to see you pick Thunderbirds and Land Of The Lost.

    I would love to hear your thoughts on those live action Japanese releases for Starblazers and Gatchaman. I am waiting for them to be released here in the states. SBY has to be getting closer. They just released in the UK. Gatchaman just came out this summer in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

    SBY looks terrific. How about Gatchaman in your opinion based on classics like BOTP? Regards, sff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The live-action Space Battleship Yamato(2010) was good and faithful to the animated series. I saw it on youtube last year and the DVD is available, unfortunately it is not in theaters in the U.S., yet. The story is Quest For Iscandar and the production design is impressive from sets to uniforms[jackets...I want one :)]. My only problem was the depiction of the Gamilons, not accurate to the animated series.
      The live-action Gatchaman(2013)now released in Japan this month looks faithful to the animated series from the uniform battlesuits to the depiction of the Zoltar character. The Phoenix design looks revised.

      I am always intrigued by the journey from animated series to live-action adaptation.

      SGB

      Delete
  4. Another shout-out for The Thing prequel? Wasn't expecting that one. Word. And, yet another shout-out for Ghost of Mars! At goddamn numero uno, no less! *fist pump*

    Gonna go listen to the soundtrack right now to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I really have to see this Ghosts Of Mars. Number one. Man. I must be missing something here. You are funny Cannon!

      Thanks for info SGB.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome The Sci-Fi Fanatic. John and I both recommend Ghosts Of Mars. It has the feel of a western set on Mars.

      SGB

      Delete
    3. Ah damn, that's one I forgot on my list. I would also join John and SGB in recommending Ghost of Mars. I remember when I first saw it, I thought it was different, yet very enjoyable. Really enjoyed Statham's performance.

      Delete
  5. Hi John
    Thanks for the list SGB! Lists make everything so much easier. I really need to see Prometheus. In fact, I think everyone should see Prometheus. But what is it with The Thing? I seriously find it boring. It's always on everyone's top list, and I guess I'm just am a freak. hahaha. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Warden Stokely. If you can, make sure you watch THE THING(2011) and then immediately THE THING(1982) as a double feature. The "dog" being chased by the helicopter is the bridge between the two films plus the Norwegian camp.

      SGB

      Delete

90 Years Ago: Tarzan and His Mate (1934)

Tarzan and His Mate  (1934) is the finest of the Johnny Weismuller/Maureen O’Sullivan MGM  Tarzan  movies. It is (shockingly…) frank in its ...