Saturday, August 24, 2013

Gil Taylor (1914 - 2013)



One of of the twentieth century's great cinematographers has passed away.  Gilbert Taylor -- the man who shot Star Wars (1977) for George Lucas -- died yesterday at the age of ninety-nine.

Mr. Taylor's impressive career in film saw the director of photography shoot not only the blockbuster space opera movie with Lucas, but the classic efforts of other luminaries such as Alfred Hitchcock (Frenzy [1972]), Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove [1964]), Roman Polanski (Macbeth [1971] and Repulsion [1965]), Richard Donner (The Omen [1976]) and Richard Lester (A Hard Day's Night [1964]).  

In short this means that it was through Gil Taylor's "eyes" that audiences first encountered on film The Beatles, Luke Skywalker, General Jack the Ripper, and Damien. 


Gil Taylor also served as DP on John Badham's Dracula (1979) starring Frank Langella, and the visually opulent Dino De Laurentiis feature film version of Flash Gordon (1980) starring Sam Jones, Melody Anderson and Timothy Dalton.

Because Mr. Taylor worked steadily from 1975 - 1980 on films in the science fiction and horror genres, his work resonates strongly with me.  It was during that span of my youth that I began to regularly go to the movies, and experience remarkable visions like Star Wars, Dracula and Flash Gordon.  Even outside that span -- and as his career tally fully indicates -- Mr. Taylor's work is unimpeachable.  His film work will be viewed, analyzed and enjoyed for generations to come.

4 comments:

  1. John truthful thoughts regarding this man's career. Sad that another creative talent of our youth and the twentieth century is gone.
    Gilbert Taylor R.I.P.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.I.P. indeed. I miss, amongst other related things, the classic three-point lighting scheme. Taylor was one of the old pros.


    The Force will be with him ...always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tribute, John. Taylor's time on Star Wars doesn't seem to have been a happy one -- he clashed with Lucas, who reportedly wanted to fire him but feared a revolt among the British crew. Yet whoever was right and wrong in that dispute, he was undoubtedly a great cinematographer.

    If you were to watch all the movies he worked on, you'd see an awful lot of good films, from British classics such as Ice Cold in Alex and Woman in a Dressing Gown, to seminal 60s films like A Hard Day's Night and Dr Strangelove, to the gorgeous colours (OK, colors!) of the '79 Dracula and Flash Gordon. It's a hell of a career even if you take Star Wars out of it!

    If you'll forgive the plug, could I mention that I've paid my own tribute at www.episodenothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a fine tribute.

    It was Star Wars that made me aware of Gilbert Taylor, as it was the case for many, obviously.

    My own take...
    http://barrysmight.blogspot.ca/2013/08/gilbert-taylor-lighting-cameraman.html

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...