Saturday, June 01, 2013

Reader Top Ten Science Fiction Films: James McLean


My friend and writer -- and one of the heroes of the Back to Frank Black movement to revive Millennium (1996 - 1999) -- has compiled another great list for our continuing series on reader top ten science fiction films.  

You can read all of James' great descriptions and explanations here, so check out the full post.

Meanwhile, here's his top ten:

1. Blade Runner (1982)
2. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
3. Dredd (2012)
4. Dark City (1998)
5. Serenity (2005)
6. Starship Troopers (197)
7. The Black Hole (1979)
8. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
9. Robocop (1987)
10.Total Recall (1990).

It is nice to see Dredd here.  I felt it was a powerhouse of a film; one that somehow made violence poetic and lyrical, yet also demonstrated how fragile -- and how fleeting -- human life can be.  

Verhoeven is also well-represented here with three films: Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers....

Dark City has appeared more than once in this week-long tally, and I must confess it is a film I have never entirely warmed to.  I've watched it twice and liked it both times...but I didn't love it, oddly enough.  Perhaps it's time for a third viewing...

Great list, James!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I loved Dredd too! Glad to see it make the list ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you reviewed Dark City John? Would like to see the reasons for your coolness to it!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...