Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Alien Movie Matrix Redux (Now with Prometheus [2012])


My in-depth review of Ridley Scott's Prometheus goes up shortly after 6:00 am this morning.  In the meantime, here's the Alien movie matrix I featured last week, now updated to include Prometheus.  As any reading of the chart confirms, Prometheus is definitely an Alien film in its DNA.  It conforms widely to the character and story elements of the long-standing franchise.


Title
Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Alien3 (1992)
Alien Resurrection (1997)
Prometheus (2012)
Android
Ash
Bishop
Bishop
Call
David
Company Man
Ash
Burke
85, Bishop
No
Meredith Vickers
Weyland
Comic Relief
Parker, Brett
Hudson
Morse, 85
Perez
Chance and Ravel.
Frifeld and Millburn.
In awe of the alien
Ash
Bishop
Golic
Gediman
David
Joseph Conrad
Nostromo
Narcissus
Sulaco
Sulaco
No
No
Pregnancy/Gestation
Kane
Colonists
Ripley.
Dog.
Alien Queen
Purvis
Shaw
Engineer
Self-Sacrifice
No
Gorman
Vasquez
Dillon
Ripley
Christie
Purvis
Janek
Chance and Ravel
Holloway
Failed Mission
Dallas in the
vents trying to
flush out alien
First engagement
with aliens in
sub-level 3
Prisoners attempt
to entrap alien
Military attempts
to breed and control
aliens as bio weapon.
Weyland’s quest
for immortality
Ship/Facility Destroyed
Nostromo
LV-426 Colony
Evacuation pod
Auriga
Prometheus, alien ship.
New Alien Life Form
Space jockey
Egg
Facehugger
Chestburster
Adult alien
Queen Alien
Dog Alien
Newborn
Worm-snakes,
Frifield-Zombie,
Gestating proto-facehugger,
Engineers,
Final Xenomorph
Surprise Death/Attack
Kane chest-bursted
Bishop by Queen
on Sulaco
Andrews through
Cafeteria ceiling
No
David and Weyland at the hands of the Engineer.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking back on this, but doesn't Parker sacrifice himself, sort of? When Lambert is cornered by the xenomorph, late in the film, recall he's telling her to "Move!" He's not threatened at that moment and could run as the alien is targeting the other crew member. Parker then attempts to intervene, which of course costs him. Even as his demise is imminent, he's screaming for her to run, IIRC. Of course she doesn't as she's deer-in-the-headlights material by this point. But, he tried, perhaps knowing it wouldn't work in an effort to save Lambert. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,

      Good point about the original Alien (1979). I'm not sure if it's self sacrifice, or in Parker's mindset at the moment, he's going to kill the alien and save Lambert (and yet survive). I think it's a point worth mentioning, certainly. He certainly dies, but I don't think he sacrifices himself. I don't know, I should watch that moment again, and I'm glad you directed me back to it.

      best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...