Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Starship is Almost 40...


On the eve of Star Trek's fortieth birthday (September 8), I thought I would post some pictures here of the lovely lady in her prime.

Wow! Look at her in all her elegant, 1966-1969 glory. She's still the most beautiful starship ever to grace a TV or movie screen. No wonder Kirk loves her so...

This is the starship that traveled beyond the barrier at the edge of the galaxy in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," and the vehicle which challenged the doomsday machine. She's the Constitution Class cruiser that made first contact with the First Federation ("The Corbomite Maneuver") and was overrun by tribbles ("The Trouble with Tribbles"). It was this Enterprise that voyaged to Organia ("Errand of Mercy"), battled Romulans ("Balance of Terror") and first encountered the Metrons "(Arena"). More than any of those things, she was the home to 432 of Starfleet's finest on a five year mission...

And this is the Enterprise that I grew up. She will be getting that CGI face lift soon, so treasure your memories (and photos...) of the lovely lass as she was. Did I mention I'm also getting a face lift at 40?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:38 PM

    Another way to celebrate Star Trek's 40th will be to listen to Destinies-The Voice of Science Fiction on Friday, September 8, at 11:30 PM on 90.1 FM, WUSB, Stony Brook, NY, either live on the air or through www.wusb.fm, or in archive form after the broadcast at www.captphilonline.com/Destinies.html. This show will feature an interview with George Takei, recorded at I-Con 25 this past Spring, and the Star Trek audio adventure "To Starve A Fleaver."

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...